Friday, September 12, 2014

NYFW

Now that I work downtown I don't get to see any of the fashion week excitement. I used to love going to Bryant Park to eat lunch while the shows were still there and I worked close-by. Anyways, the tents are no longer there but at the Lincoln Center, and most of the important shows are done somewhere completely different, dispersed around town, even in Brooklyn, although you have to be a pretty big name, like Alexander Wang, to get the fashion crowds to come to Brooklyn. Of course the media is full of Fashion Week; show reviews and trend spotting. And there has been some interesting news this year...

Looks like the old runway show where models just walk by you is on its way out. (You know in fashion, one day you're in, and the next day you're out.) (I couldn't resist!) Now the fashion shows are events that offer experiences, such as the Opening Ceremony show at the Metropolitan Opera that was a play, written by the director Spike Jonze and actor Jonah Hill. Now that's a fashion show that I would have liked to see. And apparently, some fashion shows don't even include the clothes anymore, such as Gareth Pugh, who instead of clothes showed a modern dance piece. (Not sure how that works, but hey, I'm not a fashion professional...)

Anyway, the trend spotters are saying that next spring we will be wearing neutral colors (yes!), bright yellow (not me!), jail bird stripes (yes, I'll try that), gingham (maybe), and clothes that are soft and loose and have some volume (yes!). Another piece of good news is that the flat sandal is still a very strong trend for next spring and summer (yay!).

Thakoon

3.1 Phillip Lim

Michael Kors


No comments:

Post a Comment