Thursday, April 9, 2015

Staycation

I used to love to travel, but since having kids I haven't traveled much. For me it's too stressful to arrange the travel, pack everyone's stuff, plan activities, unpack, do the laundry, etc. I'm exhausted after a family trip. I admire those people who can do all this without stressing out. Since avoiding any extra stress is very high on my list of priorities, for now, travel has been mostly the annual or bi-annual trip to Finland, or the occasional week in Florida. I look forward to the time when everyone can pack for themselves, and I don't have to think for everyone... But until then, I like spending vacations chilling out at home. Life is so busy that I don't even make many plans for these staycations, just take it easy and go with the flow. This week's spring break has been great. A truly relaxing week, spent catching up on sleep and spending quality time with the girls. My husband has a very busy phase at work and was not able to take the week off, and I'm going to travel next week for work, so staying home was a real no-brainer.

Because the weather has still been on the cold side, we've done a lot of indoor activities: a bit of shopping, gel manicures, exploring new cafes. We've also had fun at home making our own pottery, painting bird houses, and baking pulla.


Pottery making with white clay was so much fun. Using the pottery wheel is not as easy as it looks! 



Mother-daughter manicures. This gel manicure better last until next week! 




I've only tried making pulla a few times in my life, and it never came out very good. So this time I did some research and made the dough with fresh yeast (as opposed to dry), and left the dough a little loosy goosy (didn't put too much flour in it).  Well it worked, and the pulla came out GREAT! Very soft and fluffy, and just perfect. 




For these little girls pink still rules. 



My pulla still may not win awards for beauty, but the taste was so good that my daughter is now planning a Cafe for my second career when I retire... 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment