Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Books I've Read Recently: The Address

The Address by Fiona Davis was the first book I read this year. I started on the christmas break and finished soon after New Year's. It's a fun book to read, particularly for someone who lives and/or works in New York City. The story moves parallel in 1884 and 1985, and it was fascinating to read about the description of New York more than a hundred years ago. The story is set in the Dakota apartment building, made famous by John Lennon's murder (he lived there, and Yoko Ono still lives there), and many other celebrities having lived there. The story is a love story and a murder mystery, and it moves very comfortably between the two eras. I also learned something new about New York City history by reading the book, particularly the history of the Roosevelt Island asylum, where conditions where horrendous in the late 1800's. I liked the book so much that I have plans to read Fiona Davis' previous book, The Dollhouse, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment