Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Sushi Chef

It's easy to fall into a food rut and keep making the same things over and over again. I fall into that rut every six months or so, and things get pretty boring. So now I've been trying to dig myself out of that rut and come up with something more fun, and also somewhat healthy. I decided to try making sushi. The kids love it, and although it has carbs, it's otherwise quite healthy. It felt a little intimidating first, but I decided not to beat myself up if it didn't work out perfectly. So I watched a couple of youtube videos (you'd be surprised how many videos you can find on making sushi), and got to work. In preparation I had bought the bamboo mat that you use for rolling sushi, sushi rice, rice vinegar, and seaweed from a Korean market (if you're ever around Hicksville, go the the H-Mart - the place is amazing!).  From my local supermarket I bought salmon, cucumber, avocado, seaweed salad, imitation crab, and pickled ginger. 

Making sushi was fun and surprisingly easy. The rolling is easier than it looks like. The rolls didn't come out restaurant perfect, but I thought they came out good for a fist time sushi maker. The kids had fun rolling sushi too. We will definitely be making sushi again, and will experiment with different ingredients. My oldest daughter already ordered Philadelphia rolls for our next sushi dinner (salmon and cream cheese). I want to try making spicy tuna.. and a roll with the rice outside the seaweed. All in all, if you're thinking about making sushi, go for it! 















No comments:

Post a Comment