Thursday, December 8, 2016

Movies & Parenting Principles

The Holiday season is also a movie season. It's so nice to cuddle up in a movie theater when it's cold outside. I know there are summer block busters too, but I'm never into going to the movies in the summer. I've recently been to see two movies, first the Fantastic Beasts with my hubby and 14 year old, and then the Trolls with my 6 and 8 year olds. I went through quite an argument with my husband who wanted to take the little girls to see the "Beasts" too, which is a PG 13 movie. It was never an issue for the oldest one, because we both knew that she was not ready to see the more scary rated movies before her time, but for some reason, my husband thinks it's ok for the other two (we haven't shielded them quite as much as we did the first one).

They've seen the Harry Potter movies, and some of them are actually PG13 rated. I regretted letting my little one see the later movies in the Harry Potter series, because they are actually quite scary. But I figured, she's seen the earlier movies of the series, she knows the characters and what's going on, and if we watch together at home all snuggled up and cozy, well what's the harm. But I did regret that decision, because she had nightmares after that.

Well, I figured, not again. Now I'm holding firm on this topic. The "Beasts" movie was rated PG 13 for a reason. And just because we are being bombarded by scary violent stuff all over the place these days, I don't want to give up altogether and let a 6 and a 8 year old to see a PG 13 movie in a theater. This is my parenting principle, and so far I'm sticking to it.

They did get to pose with the poster, however, when I took them to see the Trolls (which BTW, is a really nice feel good movie, with a great soundtrack). 

No comments:

Post a Comment