Monday, December 12, 2016

Saint Lucia

The Saint Lucia is probably the only catholic saint being celebrated in the lutheran protestant church. It is an old Swedish tradition that has held on in Finland even after Russian occupation and then almost 100 years of Finnish independence. Saint Lucia brings the light on December 13th to the darkest of times. It's a beautiful tradition that my daughters have also been part of. My middle daughter got the honor of being Lucia this year, and carrying light and hope into the darkness. I love the Lucia song too, and think it's one of the prettiest christmas songs.






Nothing puts me in a Christmas mood like the Finnish Christmas Carols at the Finnish Lutheran congregation at St. John's Church in the West Village. I love that little church and it's down-to-earth atmosphere. For me it's important that my kids know Christmas is not only about presents, but that it is one of the most important Christian celebrations, and the feeling of Christmas is more important than any present.

No comments:

Post a Comment