Thursday, September 10, 2015

School is Cool

I am very lucky that my kids love to go to school. I was a bit nervous about my little one starting Kindergarten this year and going to school for the first time, but it's been a very easy transition, and she is eager to go every morning. The second grader is happy too, and comes back from school with stories about what she and her friends did during recess. My oldest is in eight grade, and super busy with lots of homework and daily badminton practices.

I have always tried to foster a learning environment at home, exposing my children to knowledge of the classics, art, music, etc. For example, our current bed time story book is the National Geographic Treasury of Greek Mythology. (A lovely book, by the way, with beautiful illustrations!) They love hearing about the Greek gods and goddesses, even though sometimes the stories are a bit hard to comprehend. And I love reading it; I learn things too, and look at the classic stories from a different perspective when I have to explain them to the kids.

I also ask questions every day after school, trying to get my kids to think about what they are learning, and to see the bigger picture.

A few days before school started, the school district arranged a school bus orientation for kindergarteners which was a great way to lessen the anxiety about taking the bus..

Big sister showing the little sister the ropes on school bus. 

High five

The bus orientation had Tigger and Pooh visiting too. 

And then it was time for first day of school. Look at that happy face! 

At least she paused to wave goodbye. 

First school day - It's much more fun waiting for the bus with a friend. 


Ok, here I go... The long journey of education begins.
And there's no looking back! 





No comments:

Post a Comment