Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Apple Picking

The second part of the birthday was spent apple picking at the Lewin farm in Riverhead, Long Island. It's a great place to visit, and has a huge farm stand, and a big apple orchard that has smaller trees perfect for kids to reach and be able to pick the apples too.












The birthday girl really enjoyed our day out apple picking. She told me she wrote about it in class too. 

We came home with tons of apples, and have since made two kinds of apple pies, the traditional American apple pie with a criss cross crust top, and an apple crumble pie, which by the way, is the easiest to make and comes out good every time - you just cannot botch it. And is of course super yummy with some vanilla ice-cream. I love apples, and eat them on most days. An apple a day keeps the doctor away was really drilled in me since I was a kid growing up in Finland. (Omena päivässä pitää lääkärin loitolla). But I do have my own little quirk..I only eat apples that are peeled and sliced. I love eating apples with peanut butter, some cheese, yogurt, in a smoothie, oatmeal, etc. Sometimes for dessert I peel and slice an apple, arrange on a plate, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, and microwave for 2 minutes. The healthiest dessert ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment