Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Best Cheesecake Ever

It was that good! But the title may also be slightly influenced by the One Direction song that has been seared in my brain due to overexposure…(have a few fans living in my house). But about that cheesecake - my 11-year old is showing signs of interest in cooking and baking. I encourage this interest wholeheartedly, and get out of the way when she wants to try something. I remember how my own budding interest was killed when my well-meaning, but very much type-A kind of mother could not watch me make a mess or do things the wrong way and would take over, leaving me to just watch as she baked. I try not to make that mistake, so I leave my daughter pretty much to her own devices when she's baking.. or with daddy.

On a recent Sunday morning, I had a desire to bake something, so I quickly made a traditional Finnish "tiikerikakku". I stuck it in the oven, and then went for my yoga class telling the hubby when the cake should come out of the oven. Much to my delight, when I came back, my daughter told me she was inspired by my cake, and was busy making a cheesecake. And not just any old cheesecake, but the quite professional kind, New York style cheesecake, made from scratch. She followed the fairly complicated recipe from the Martha Stewart baking book to the tee. And the results were totally fabulous.

Delicious and perfect texture, beautiful shape, and the crust, which was actually a chocolate cookie recipe, was the best I'd ever tasted on a cheesecake. I was blown away. Prior to this her baking has been limited to cupcakes or brownies from teh box. Because I wasn't around during the actual making of the cheesecake, the photos only show the finished product. Oh how I am hoping she'll bake something soon again!





My "tiikerikakku" was half eaten by the time I got to it… 


The proud baker!

Yummyyyyy

No comments:

Post a Comment