Tuesday, December 16, 2014

St. Lucia

Isn't it odd that Catholics who believe in all kinds of saints don't celebrate St. Lucia's day? To me it is an essential part of the season leading up to Christmas, and has been a beautiful tradition since my childhood. St. Lucia's day is celebrated on the winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year, and Lucia brings the light with her candle crown. The Finnish Church of New York organizes a St. Lucia procession at the Christmas Carols, which fell on the actual St. Lucia's day this year. My daughters love to participate, and last year my oldest had the honor to be the Lucia girl. This year my two smaller daughters were in the procession, proud to walk down the isle of the beautiful St. John's church in the West Village. I've seen this procession so many times, and still get teary-eyed every time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment