Friday, March 28, 2014

Vogue

So. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West are on the cover of the Vogue magazine. I feel betrayed, disappointed, and sad. I am probably the only one in this planet who never even watched the Kardashian show. I'm not saying that I'm somehow better for that, I mean, I've got my own weaknesses (Beverly Hills and NY housewives, to be exact). But I honestly thought that Vogue drew a line and aspired to stay a bit above the fray, a bit more classy, a bit more intelligent. And that's why I'm so disappointed. I don't see the point of putting this couple on the cover and giving them that place of honor. Because it is an honor to be on that cover. Or maybe it was an honor and times have changed. Anyway, I haven't received my copy home yet and I have a feeling my subscription ended. I'm not going find out or renew. At least not for a while. We'll see if Wintour will redeem Vogue in the covers to come. 

This will be the first time in about 20 years without a Vogue subscription. I think I'll live...




3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you wrote - I was stunned to hear they made the cover. I will never buy Vogue again -- and this is not to say I feel a better person for not watching/liking the Kardashians -- I just feel that certain things should be kept separate...(I watch the RHWONY and I would be equally disappointed if, say, Ramona was on the cover of Vogue, I mean....it is VOGUE)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many who think like us. We get bombarded with this whole Kardashian culture everywhere, and really didn't need Vogue to jump on that bandwagon. Anyway, there will be others to fill the void. I really liked the Porter magazine that came out earlier this year. As of now it's a quarterly, but there's a lot to read so that might be enough. I can't wait to see the next copy in the summer.

      Delete
  2. PS: I got my copy in the mail yesterday, so I guess I'm still a Vogue subscriber. I just hope that there was enough controversy about the direction of this magazine to make the chief think if this is the way it's going to be...

    ReplyDelete