Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Happy Valentine's with Art from the Getty Center


One of our rainy day stops at Los Angeles was the Getty Center. I didn't really know anything about it, but my neighbor had told me to go and since it was raining we decided an art museum would be a good place to keep rain. And how happy I was that we went. The Getty Center was truly a treasure. I'm a museum lover anyway, and refuse to get spoiled by the amazing museums New York has to offer, but this place would dazzle anyone. The biggest collection at Getty is of the renaissance, and we did both a renaissance tour, and the Getty collection highlights tour. You get so much more out of it when you listen to someone who knows and can share some funny back stories (such as the renaissance painting picked up at an upstate New York sale for a few hundred bucks, then strapped on to a roof of a car with nothing covering it, driving four hours to the City, bringing the painting to Christies for evaluation, and eventually selling it in auction for a cool $4 million to the Getty Center).

Here are a few of the things I picked to share.

The girls giggled when I showed them this picture. I can't think why? 

Italian renaissance painting, "Being Showered by Gold" by Gentileschi

"Laughing Rembrandt" by the man himself

I'm looking for a new bed for my 6-year old, and wanted to show her this renaissance bed... 

Venus reclining on a sea monster 

The Getty Center has some amazing impressionist paintings too. Quite a few Monet and the Van Gogh Irises. But I really liked this, Edgar Degas' "Russian Dancers"

No comments:

Post a Comment