Monday, February 17, 2020

Thrifting

I've always been a fan of thrift shops. As a money strapped teenager, thrifting was a way to be able to find cool styles that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. I can still remember one particularly cool green leather jacket! These days the appeal is more environmental (recycling and re-using makes so much more sense than landfill!) and I donate more than shop, but my own teen makes really cool finds that allow her to develop her own individual style without being a chain store clone. Vintage shopping is getting more cool in the U.S. and prices, especially in New York City are sometimes a bit insane. Fortunately we found a real thrift shop on Long Island. MyUnique in Westbury is huge and definitely worth a visit if you're into thrifting. Don't expect this place to be a curated vintage shop - this place will require you to go through racks and racks to find the gem. When we went there my daughter found jeans for $7 that were selling on Revolve for $80. I saw a DVF tunic for $20 that still had original tags hanging, and a beautiful 100% cashmere sweater for $15. On my next trip there I plan to look for a  denim jacket that I can bring home and customize. 




No comments:

Post a Comment